Monday, January 23, 2012

The Saturday Basket

My kids are older, 21, 19, 14 and 13, and I just spent the weekend explaining to them that "cleaning house" is not "picking up".  They just don't understand that you can't clean your house until it is picked up.   I really think that my house was neater when they were younger.  It might be because I was home more and not watching and/or waiting for them at a sports/school function.  Their stuff was smaller too.  Anyway, I am having trouble with them picking up their things.  I am either tripping over shoes or moving school books off of a table, so, I have decided to bring back the "Saturday Basket".  I used this method when they were younger too.  I went to the thrift store and picked up this little beauty for only $3.99:










I just added a little sign and there you have it.










Now, when they leave their stuff lying around, I just toss it in this basket.  Their junk looks a lot better in the basket than all over the house.  Now, the catch to it is, they can't have it until Saturday.  I don't care if it is shoes, sports equipment, work aprons, homework/school books, it stays in the basket until Saturday.  If it becomes a permanent resident, I donate it.  It gets really ugly the first couple of weeks, but, with their dad's help, it starts to get a little easier until the basket is not longer needed.






If you have trouble with your little and/or big ones picking up their stuff, try the basket method, it just might work.


Rhonda



5 comments:

  1. I have 2 girls-8 and 10. Our family is definitely trying this!!! Thanks for the great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your idea! Will put into practice ASAP. I have the perfect basket. My kids are 13yrs girl, and 9yrs. boy. They each have their room, but only go in there to sleep. They like to take over the rest of the house. Because their rooms are so messy. I'm tired of picking up for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to pick something up today and start this!! It is such a problem getting my 13 year old to pick up things!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day, thanks.