Monday, April 8, 2013

Chalkboard Lazy Susan

Happy Monday everybody -- I missed you all last week, it was a little wild around here.  Let's just say that a woman of my size and age should not fall over a child gate.  Yep, that's what happened -- my bruised pride and ribs are healing up fine this week.  Anyway, on to my latest craft.  I love doing daycare (apart from falling over a child gate), but, I always find it a challenge to decorate my home.  If it is within a child's reach, they think it's for them to play with.  What has happened to; You can look, but, not touch Mrs. Rhonda's pretties.  I bought a Lazy susan at Saver's a while back for very little money.  I have always wanted one, but, didn't know how it would work.  As soon as I put in on the table, my daycare kids were catapulting things off of it.  It was not pretty -- a little dangerous at times.  Needless to say, I had to put it away.   


Well, I got it out the other day and decided to paint it with chalkboard paint.  
After sanding it down a little, I covered it with about three coats of chalkboard paint.



This was the original color, and



this was after the third coat of chalkboard paint.



After painting, I covered it with chalk and let it set for a little bit.



Here it is with it's new coat of paint.  I love the black color.  I really didn't think I would like it, but, it sets off all the colors in my table runner.



Now, the super cute bottles and holder came from Decor Steals (I am so addicted to Decor Steals right now).  I took a bunch of red tulips from The Dollar Tree and cut the stems apart.  I put one stem per bottle with the exception of two end bottles where I put two red Dollar Tree candles.  This look is totally me.  A very casual elegance -- trying to find pretty in all of my chaos.  The best part, I can remove all breakables to the counter and  easily return it after hours.
  


I put extra chalk into an egg cup.



I love this rooster.  He is so colorful and just adds the perfect wow to this little table scape.



 Oh, and the kids love it.  They don't even try to fling toys from it anymore -- YEAH!!!

xxxooo





35 comments:

  1. Hi Rhonda, I say this at Project Inspired...I just love this idea! Thanks so much for sharing and have a wonderful week! ~Cindy@littlemisscelebration.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect! I'm chalkboard obsessed right now, and I love how this looks! Thanks so much for partying with us at Time to Sparkle Tuesday : )

    xoxo Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out great! I'd love if you'd link up to The DIY'ers. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-diyers-and-more-curtains.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing on TCB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous idea!!

    Stopping by from Pintastic Tuesday!

    Take care,
    Frances
    www.notionsfromnonny.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable idea!! Thank you for linking up at SHOW-licious Craft Showcase!

    http://sew-licious.blogspot.com/2013/04/show-licious-craft-showcase-26.html.

    Marti

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this project. Thanks for linking it up at Show it off Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a clever idea! Looks like they love it too! Thanks for sharing at MOnday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great idea! What a fun way to entertain the kids while they're waiting for dinner! Thanks for sharing with us at Project Inspire{d}!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear about your fall! {I can relate as I do a lot of falling over stuff ..lol} Your lazy Susan turned out great and now the kids have something to keep them busy with as well :-) Thank you for sharing at our ALL MY BLOGGY FRIENDS party !

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous idea! I love all the chalkboard ideas out there... And this one is no different! Pinned it!! Thanks for linking up at the Pinterest Power Party!

    Danielle
    SewMuchCrafting.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found your blog on a blog hop! Love it.

    I am your newest follower and I hope you will follow me back so that we can continue to share ideas! :)
    http://naptimenothings.blogspot.com/

    Sarah@
    Naptime Nothings

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun idea- saying aloha from the hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found this blog through the hop! Great idea! I'm loving the chalkboard lazy susan - how great would this be for changing up the tablescape!?!

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is super smart - love your table all prettied up, and the useful kid-friendliness of the plain lazy susan is great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love this project! I want one for my house!

    You've been featured today at Love Grows Wild:
    http://www.lovegrowswild.com/2013/04/12-projects-for-home-10-recipes-to-try.html

    xoxo Liz

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey there! Here from that Friday blog hop! Just wanted to let you know I'm following you via GFC and Bloglovin'! I am following your other social networks! I hope you'll visit me :o) You can find me here:

    Blog url
    http://www.croppedstories.blogspot.com

    Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cropped-Stories/615495055132216

    Twitter
    https://twitter.com/croppedstories

    Google+
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/102758509830977850235/posts

    Bloglovin'
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3718883

    Pinterest
    http://pinterest.com/croppedstories/

    ReplyDelete
  18. such a great idea! i have a lazy susan in my storage closet that i could spruce up with some chalk paint! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so clever! I think something like this would work perfect for serving meals like assembling your own tacos! :) Stopping over from the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm stopping by and following from the Bloglovin Blog Hop, what a great idea for a lazy susan!!! Love it ~ Amy @ StowandTellU

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi I love this! I am gonna have to try it! New follower from Aloha hop.
    Living F.A.B.ulously on Purpose

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great idea! I love it. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent this week. So thrilled to have you share with us. Have a wonderful weekend. :)
    hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  23. I remember using it when I was younger to fling things as well :)
    I love your idea, and it turned out wonderful!

    I wanted to invite you to our weekly Meet & Greet Blog Hop! It runs from Friday nights, till the end of Monday - Come link up if you have some time this weekend and meet some other bloggers :)

    Our question this week is, "Who was your first celebrity crush?"

    http://createdbylaurie.blogspot.com/2013/04/weekend-meet-greet-blog-hop-22.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is sooo much fun! What a great idea to keep your little guy busy at the table!
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a neat idea!! I love this. Thanks for linking up at Romance on a dime!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for sharing last week on Thrifty Thursday! You are one of my features this week! Hope you'll come back again tomorrow and share more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a cool project! Thanks for sharing this at my Pin Me Party!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks so much for sharing this at the Say G'day Saturday linky party. I just shared this on Google+ and will be pinning it too!

    Hope to see you again this Saturday!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations!! You were featured at Sew-Licious Craft Showcase! Thank you so much for participating. If you would like a button, just follow this link.

    http://sew-licious.blogspot.com/2013/04/saturday-show-licious-craft-showcase-28.html

    Marti

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks in favor of sharing such a nice thought,
    paragraph is good, thats why i have read it entirely

    my page ... 18 inch dishwasher

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a fab idea!

    I would love for you to link up at the Mommy Archive - we're focusing this week on all the amazing things you can do with chalk board, Alice x

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day, thanks.